Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mamma Mia


Woho oh oh oh Mamma Mia...here I go again...my my how can I resist ya!

Today I went and saw the totally amazing Mamma Mia! 

I don't even know where to begin and what words to use to describe what a fabulous day I had! Back at the start of the year when I heard that Mamma Mia was coming back to Brisbane I was instantly on the computer booking my tickets. I saw this show 10 years ago, once with my mum and sister and then again with my grandma and grandpa. So I was desperate to go again, even if it meant going by myself and yes I went by myself. So this morning I got dressed up in my nice new dress and headed off to the theatre to see the show. It is a half an hour drive so I gave myself an hour to give me plenty of time in case there was traffic. Bad Move. I was walking RUNNING through southbank with 5 minutes until curtain call, so upset that I was going to be late. BUT I MADE IT! I literally sat down just as the band began to play! I was sweating through my stockings, yuk, and puffing and panting but the minute the music started the magic began and I was lost in the wonder of it all! The music, the singing, the simple staging were all just amazing and all came together to make such a brilliant show. 

This performance was also very special to me as my dear friend I went to school with was performing in it. To see him up there was a such a wonderful experience and I was so proud of him! The energy and enthusiasm the actors put into these shows night after night just truly amazes me. I also enjoyed watching Nathan from Hi-5 and 'Declan' from neighbours. It was wonderful to see them in a new light! Nathan was my favourite of Hi-5 and he definitely belongs on the stage! What also amazed me was the audience! There were young girls aged 10 or 12 with their mums, young adults with their girlfriends, more 'mature' couples and elderly people with their loved ones. The range of ages was just fantastic and no matter how young or old they were each and every one clapped and cheered the whole way through. 

I was lucky enough to sit next to a dear old lady who was just having the time of her life. She was also there on her own so we got to share the experience together! She was tapping and singing along the whole way through and was just giggling at almost every second line. She really showed me that no matter what your age you can still have fun! 

My favourite part of the show was the end song and then the encore! A few people started to get up and dance and the lady beside me was instantly on her feet. Being by myself I was a little self conscious and just stayed seated and bopped along to the music, clapping and singing but seeing how much fun 'my new friend' next to me was having I couldn't just sit there so I jumped straight up and joined in the fun! It was so wonderful singing at the top of my lungs and dancing along to the music with a group of strangers yet all sharing the same experience! 

Tonight my cheeks are so sore as I have not stopped smiling all day and I HIGHLY recommend you all go see it if you get the chance! TRULY MAGICAL! 

x S.K.K x

No comments: