Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ugandan Penfriend


This lovely ladies name is Ritah Nanulumba and she is my penfriend from Uganda!

Ritah is 18 years old and lives in the village of Kyabirwa. She has a daughter born earlier this year whose name is Shalon. Her husband (though they are not officially married) is in his late 20's and his name is Emma. Ritah also cares for two other children so she will often say she has 3 children. I am not sure if the other two are her husband's from a previous relationship or if they are orphans from either her family or his.

My dad's partner is a volunteer over in Uganda and teaches English to the ladies over there. 

You can follow her blog here

The penfriend program was designed to help further develop the ladies English writing while also making friends and learning about our beautiful country!  I have only received one letter from Ritah and I will be writing to her in response and telling her about my life here in Australia! I can't wait to receive my next letter from her. We only get 4 letters a year as it takes months and months for the letters to be delivered back and forth. We can also include small gifts for our pen friends and their families but it must be small and light as the postage is very expensive. I'm thinking of making a small bracelet with a symbol for me and a symbol for Ritah on it and sending one to her and keeping one for me so we can both wear one. It will always be a reminder to me to be happy and be thankful for the beautiful life I have and how special this connection is!

If you are interested in becoming a penfriend please contact me and we can organise a lady for you :)
I will keep you all up to date with my letters from Ritah!

x S.K.K x

No comments: