Monday, August 2, 2010

A Wife's Commitment


Rob, you are my true love, my best friend, and my strength. Your love is what makes me whole. Our love is built on trust, compassion, respect and support. I look forward to us growing together and continue to fall in love a little more every day. My heart is forever yours. This is my solemn vow.

On the 25th of April 2010 I said the above vow to my husband. Just over 3 months ago I promised, in the presence of my family and closest friends, to love him, care for him and above all support him for the rest of our lives together. Today was the first time I had to sit back, remind myself of these vows and the promise I made to him. At certain times in our lives we are faced with a decision. A fork in the road. Some paths are easy to take, others take a bit more time to decide which way to go. 

My decision today was between my commitment to myself and my commitments as a wife, which made me think back to those all important vows. When I married I didn't agree to give up my life for another person but I did agree to do everything in my power to make a happy, long and successful life for us. Today I made a sacrifice for my husband and put my ultimate happiness aside and my dream career on hold so he can get ahead in his career with a wonderful company which will hopefully lead to bigger and better opportunities. His happiness means the world to me and if that means I stay in the job I am in for a little bit longer then that is what I will do. A little sacrifice on my behalf that will make us stronger in the future. 

I now must embrace my new commitment to my job and never look back on the decision I made. It is with a positive attitude, a beautiful outlook on the future and the love for my husband that will be my guiding light to get through the next few years. I do love my job...and love my kids more so I'm very lucky that I am in a job that is 70% amazing 30% difficult...but aren't most jobs...my fingers are now crossed that Robs job is successful and we can both move ahead and make our dream life become a reality.

x S.K.K x


3 comments:

Claire Chadwick @ Scissors Paper Rock said...

Rob is a lucky man :)
You are an amazing wife Sarah! A lot of women would NEVER sacrafice their choices or dreams to provide a better or happier life for their husband's. You truly understand those vows! I agree....we should never put ourselves last or jeopordise our dreams & goals....but being married means working as a team & making some sacrifices!
There's been a few occasions over the past 5 years where I've had to review the vows I made too! Moments of stress, or disappointment or fear....but those vows & our love has gotton us through ALL the crappy times & big decisions so far :)
xo

Hayley said...

I really hope all of the dramas of the last few months are well and truly over! Here's a hoping that all of your job goals are reached! Marriage especially in that first couple of years can be tough! They say it gets easier.... :)

x S.K.K x said...

Thank you for the encouraging words Claire and Hayley! I do hope I made the right decision...I am just lucky I am in a wonderful job that I can spend the next 2 years in! I'm finding marriage to be such a beautiful journey and even though it is still fresh and we have had those little hiccups we have come out stronger and happier x