Monday, October 18, 2010

A Healthy Change


I feel that I am in a pretty good emotional place right now. I face each day with a smile on my face and deep down I know that I can handle any challenge that gets thrown my way. I don’t think I have been in such a positive and beautiful place in a very long time. I am learning to “stop and smell the roses”. I am learning “not to take life too seriously”. I know this sounds so cliché but I truly am! Even though Rob and I are going through a rough time jobwise, I know that we will never be given more than we can’t handle and if we stick together and keep positive, we can get through anything life throws at us. And I think we have truly proved this.  I am now seeing the true beauty in this world and letting go of all the negativity around me.  Our thoughts are very very powerful and I am lucky that I have learned this quite early on in my life and if I think big then I will be unstoppable.
Unintentionally I am cleaning out my life.  One Step at a time – but I’ll get there!  My next big challenge that I want to focus on is my health. On Sunday I had a relaxing day which was spent in bed and on the couch. It was lovely to relax and regroup after a long week but I still felt sluggish and just a bit blugh. Today I had a day off and I felt the same. I struggled to up before 11am just feeling yukky and not myself. I am craving chocolate, chips, lollies, sugar, anything that’s greasy and totally not good for you. This is the sign that my body is giving in and going into crisis mode. And my weight is definitely suffering. I am getting a little soft around the edges. I am certainly not a dieter…I absolutely love my carbs and couldn’t live without my pasta during the week and my toast and cereal for breakfast. I also could not live without my cheeky milo at night, a chocolate bar during the day (my substitute for coffee haha) and my spoonful’s of nutella here and there! So I am definitely not a dieter and cannot give up on my foods I love but I have decided to add in a few foods that is missing from my diet that I have researched should be an essential part of our daily intake. I will take it slowly because I feel that a lot of people go on these fad diets and start hard and fast and burn out within a few weeks. I’m going to take it day by day, week by week. 
I feel our night time meals are sufficient enough and we eat a wide variety of meats and vegetables but my downfall is my daily foods. Because I am on the run all day every day, as all mums are aware, I don’t get the time to sit down and make a lunch and eat it. I don’t get a lunch break like a normal job so I’ve been skipping the lunches and compensating with biscuits and treats…lots of sugar to keep me going. This is what I need to change. I need to make the conscious decision, to make the choice about what snacks I am going to have. I am going to start eating more yoghurt, and more fresh fruit. I’m not a big fruit eater…I cut up A LOT of fruit every day for the kids so it won’t be hard for me to eat a banana or some watermelon while working. I am super excited about all the new summer fruits coming out so it won’t be hard eating those delicious goodies. Mangos to me are WAY better than a piece of chocolate anyway. I am going to start making daily smoothies in the morning - this way I can get my daily fruit and yoghurt intake in a yummy delicious treat before the day starts just in case I don’t get to get to it during the day. I think the trick for me is to find yummy healthy snacks that I can eat on the go – that is not a block of chocolate.
My next biggest goal is to drink more water. I am quite disappointed in the amount of water I DON’T drink throughout the day. At the maximum I will only drink a few glasses of water which is terrible when we are supposed to drink 2-3 litres minimum a day. I have to really make a conscious effort to drink more water…every time I walk past the kitchen – grab a glass of water – and keep a drink bottle in my car. Hopefully this will get my daily water intake up!
By taking these few little steps of yoghurt, fruit and water I am hoping it will be the start of a new and healthier me…my mind and body will be at peace. 
Wish me Luck
x S.K.K x

2 comments:

Claire Chadwick @ Scissors Paper Rock said...

Good on you Sarah!
I too need to drink more water! I'm terrible with keeping up with that one!!
You've inspired me to make more of an effort with my water consumption too!!!
P.S. I love reading your blog!
xo

x S.K.K x said...

Aw Thanks Claire! Hows it going with the drinking - I'm struggling! It upsets me I have to force myself to drink it - I'm hoping soon it will become habit! One day!